Thursday, November 13, 2008

Critique: ParkeHarrison's "Guardian"

In a misty forest, what looks like a deserted, empty War field, there is a man in a suit crouching over the land on wooden stilts tied to the middle section of his dress shoes. On his back, are branches piled together to make a protective surrounding, what look like wings stretched out ready to fly away. He looks like a tree, focused and determined, ready to protect from any harm.

Being in the center, he is the main emphasis. The misty fog in the background creates a mixing mood with the soft light and darks that also have a soft edge of contrast letting us know that he has a duty to fulfill and will accomplish it no matter what. The light will soon fade away and he will be surrounded by darkness. I think this is a beautiful photo. It makes me feel like I am really there, feeling what he feels. In most photos, I believe that the emphasis should not be directly in the center but I could tell the artist thought deep and hard about where to put the emphasis. It works.

This photograph deeply portrays the meaning of the need to be safe and always wanting to have your guardian angel by your side. It corresponds clearly that there will always be someone there for you during the ups and downs that we all face in everyday life.

No comments: